Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Attitude of Gratitude

I hope you enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. Our daughter Rachel and I continued our tradition of going to Starbucks for breakfast while my husband Cliff and our son Jaxon play football in a nearby Turkey Bowl. We spend the rest of our holiday making the rounds between in laws and my parents. A day surrounded by family provides a great opportunity to practice gratitude for all the wonderful and quirky traits that exist within families.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! I love that we celebrate an entire day dedicated to gratitude and appreciation for the abundance in our lives. I have much to be thankful for – an amazing husband, children we are so proud of, supportive extended family, the best friends in the world, a comfortable home, good health, freedom and the opportunity to live my passion. Yet it’s easy in the hustle and bustle of life to take these blessings for granted. That’s why it’s good to have a holiday whose purpose is to remind us to stop and notice what we have to be grateful for and count our blessings.

I hope you know amongst my many blessing, I’m very grateful for you too. It means so much to me that you allow me to join you on your journey to live your best life. In that way you help me live my best life too. J I don’t have the words to fully capture the depth of my gratitude, so I’ll just simply say, “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

Having an attitude of gratitude is important all year, not just on Thanksgiving. Gratitude combats even the worst circumstances and most foul moods. If you struggle to find joy or feel you’re barely keeping your head above water, adopting an attitude of gratitude unlocks your sweet spirit that’s trapped behind depression, overwhelm and pain. This is the part of you who longs to be lighthearted, joyful, optimistic and at peace. Do you struggle to find and maintain these states of mind? If so, you may be stuck in the “I’ll be happy when” trap. “I’ll be happy when I’m thin.” “I”ll be happy when it stops raining.” “I’ll be happy when I have more money.” “I’ll be happy when I finish this project.” “I’ll be happy when the holidays are over.” “I’ll be happy when I get a new job.”

It’s easy to con yourself into putting off your happiness and satisfaction until circumstances change. In what ways to you fall into the “I’ll be happy when” trap?

You can shift your mindset so you can find happiness and satisfaction in the present moment by creating a daily gratitude practice. At least once a day, focus on looking for the ways things are going well. What do you have to be happy about and grateful for right now? Even the most dispondant person has something to be thankful for. If nothing else you can be grateful you have the opportunity to read this article so you can begin to turn your life in a new direction.

Gratitude is incompatible with sadness, grief, anxiety or fear. By turning your attention toward your blessings, not only do you make it impossible to feel bad, but you begin to attract more good thing into your life. Putting on gratitude colored glasses makes you more aware of the good stuff and wonderful opportunities that are already all around you. You’ll begin to feel your heart warm to the idea that you can create a happy, prosperous, healthy life.

Your Assignment: Create a daily gratitude practice – journal, blog, prayer, email me every day. Get creative! Focus on looking for the ways things are going well even if you haven’t reached your ultimate goal yet. Each day note something you enjoyed about this part of the journey.


If you want more ideas and solutions to improve your life, go to www.pleaseaholics.com and get my Free CD, Stop Being So Hard On Yourself! Simple Steps to Becoming Happier and More Productive. Also available online: The Better Boundaries, Better Life Coaching programs and Better Boundaries, Better Life Home Study System and Marketing & Mindset Money Magnet Home Study System at www.pleaseaholics.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment